Followers

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thing #5

I am familiar with face book to keep in contact with my family in other parts of the word ; also just being an observer of my daughter's friends and the implication/consequences of what kids
post have in their lives, with that in mind I will be extremely careful using it in my class. Perhaps for older children using a face book club and following the company's advice of creating a private reading group that are for invitation only in order to protect the kids privacy will be appropriate. Is there any early elementary teachers using it in their classroom?

I had been reluctant to even learn more about Twitter for a long time,thinking that everyday the ancient ability to write in complete sentence is soon to be extinct, the importance o face to face conversation is in jeopardy etc. Reading about it it was an eye opener, and yes there are a lot of reasons to do it, but still it is not for me to teach this to my kinder kids.Reading Nine great reasons why teachers should use twitter, I disagree that it can be a time saver when you are looking for something and you have immediately access to a number of links related to your search, you must open those links and read them to see if it is what you want, also in other to "connect with an amazingly clever, resourceful and innovative bunch of people who never fail to inspire and motivate "you have to spend several hours of reading good and bad to get to that point.
Back channeling can be very useful for those kids that are shy or those kids that take a long time to answer, and would really help the teacher with those kids that always scream the answer without waiting their turn :)

No comments: